On arrival in Kolkata, once the capital of India, you are met and taken to your hotel for a three-night stay.
Following breakfast you are taken on a full day city tour of Kolkata. The tour includes a visit to the Victoria Memorial, built to the memory of Queen Victoria. It is one of Kolkatas’ most fascinating landmarks, made of white marble with a harmonious blend of European and Mughal architectural styles. You also visit the Marble Palace built by one of Bengal’s richest landlords. The name ‘Marble Palace’ was probably given to it due to the fact the entire palace was built using an astounding 126 varieties of marble procured from various parts of India. Another important landmark visited is the cantilever bridge over the Hooghly River. In the evening you return to the Hooghly River for a sunset boat cruise on the river. (BL)
You have the full day at leisure to relax or further explore this interesting city further. (B)
Kolkata / Darjeeling
Today you are taken to the airport for your flight to Bagdogra where you are met and taken by road to your hotel located in Darjeeling, the tea capital, for a fantastic four-night stay. You have the remainder of the afternoon at leisure to relax. (B)
Early this morning you are taken to Tiger Hill to view the magnificent sunrise as the sun comes up over the Himalayan Mountains.
Following breakfast you undertake a half day city tour of Darjeeling and surroundings. This tour includes a trip on the ‘Toy Train’ to Ghoom. This hillock is dominated by the famous Yiga Choeling Monastery. The monastery contains many ancient palm leaf and paper manuscripts in Tibetan script. The Museum of Natural History has a collection of Himalayan animals, reptiles, birds and insects and the Llyod Botanic Garden has a marvelous collection of alpine flora and orchids. You also visit the Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park, the only center in India for the breeding of the rare snow leopard. Other attractions are the Ussurian Tigers and the Himalayan Black Bear. (BL)
Today is entirely at leisure to enjoy this fascinating area. (B)
Renowned for its tea, Darjeeling is known the world over. This morning you visit a working tea estate for a tour to see how this renowned product is grown. (B)
Darjeeling / Depart Bagdogra
After breakfast you are collected from your hotel and taken by road to Bagdogra Airport where this tour comes to an end. There are convenient flights from here to Delhi, Kolkata and other airports in North East India. (B)
Inca Tours does not own any of the hotels, lodges or service providers utilised in making up the tours. As a result Inca Tours is only acting as an agent for the operators and as such does not accept responsibility for any negligence, omissions, errors or differences in standard experienced by passengers when utilising the operators’ products or services. Please Note: for full booking terms and conditions please see the back of our booking form.
Map – click to enlarge
- Departs any day of the week as a private tailor-made tour, with private guides and vehicles.
- 3 or 4-star
TIME TO VISIT
– October to March
- Local English speaking expert guides
- A fabulous 3-night stay in Kolkata
- Full day Kolkata City Tour
- Hooghly River Sunset Cruise
- A fantastic 4-night stay in Darjeeling
- Early morning Tiger Hill excursion
- Sunrise over the Himalaya Mountains
- Darjeeling & Surrounding City Tour
- The ‘Toy Train’, Darjeeling to Ghoom
- The Himalaya Zoological Park
- Tour of a Darjeeling Tea Estate
ITINERARY IN BRIEF
- Kolkata (3 nights)
- Darjeeling (4 nights)
- Accommodation in hotels with private facilities.
- All tours and excursions with English speaking specialist local guides.
- All admission fees on such tours.
- Mostly private transfers and tours.
- Meals throughout as indicated (B = Breakfast L = Lunch D = Dinner).
- All transportation as described.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Passport and visa fees.
- Travel insurance.
- Excess baggage.